This page contains a collection of the answers to the most common questions people ask about The Northern School of Art. Click on the questions below to find the answers to your questions.
WHAT ARE THE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS?
- Find out more about our student accommodation HERE >
WHAT IS HARTLEPOOL LIKE TO STUDY/LIVE IN?
- CCAD is a great place to study. Over 91% Student Satisfaction and placed with the other 20% best universities. We are based in a distinctive part of the UK. Hartlepool is a vibrant coastal town offering a wealth of attractions and artistic inspiration. Iconic places include the 500-berth Marina with its superb restaurants, cafés, bars and pubs. Linked to the Marina is Hartlepool Maritime experience. Seaton Carew is a traditional seaside resort and only a 15 minute walk away too. We also benefit from being only a stones-throw away from stunning countryside, The Campus is located within the heart of the innovation and skills quarter of Hartlepool, with a popular art gallery, a range of places to eat and drink and the town shopping mall just across the road. Students at CCAD benefit from a unique experience and one which is very different from a city-based university. We also provide some of the most competitive accommodation rates in the country. Some of our halls are located within two minutes walking distance from the Campus. destinationhartlepool.com
WHAT IS THE STUDENTS' UNION LIKE HERE?
- We have a dedicated student liaison officer who is responsible for developing our students' union and will act on behalf of the students to voice their opinions and ideas. Our student liaison officer is heavily-focused on developing, what’s already, a very positive student experience here. We also have several student ambassadors, who are actively engaged with local event organisers in the area to ensure there’s something fresh and fun to suit most tastes all year round. CCAD have a fantastic support service in terms of pastoral support, as well as high contact time with teaching staff.
WHAT ARE THE TRANSPORT LINKS FOR HARTLEPOOL?
- Train and road connections are exceptional, giving you easy access to exciting cities such as Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Durham, Sunderland and other major parts of the country - including a direct train to London, which is only 3 hours away.
WHAT ARE THE FEES FOR CCAD?
- Fees are currently set at £9,250 per year. Students are not expected to pay fees upfront – if in receipt of a Tuition Fee loan from Student Finance England. You will repay after graduation and when you start earning over £25,000 per year. Our students receive excellent value for money for a number of reasons: Almost double the contact time compared to many other institutions Teaching is delivered by expert staff who have well-established links with industry Students have more freedom using industry-standard facilities and equipment CCAD is rated GOLD in the Teaching Excellence Framework – again in the top 20% of universities. Applicants are responsible for applying for their tuition fee loans and should contact Student Loans Company early in the application cycle to avoid delays. gov.uk/studentfinance www.slc.co.uk
DO I GET HELP WITH LIVING COSTS?
- Yes, students can apply for a living cost loan from the Student Loans Company and the amount you are given is dependent on your household income. gov.uk/studentfinance
WHAT OTHER FINANCIAL SUPPORT IS AVAILABLE?
- As well as the standard loans and grants available from the Student Loans Company, CCAD offer bursaries to eligible students. Check website for link ccad.ac.uk
WHAT'S THE STUDENT TIMETABLE LIKE?
- Taught sessions are delivered 16 hrs a week in the first year and are spread across 5 days (Monday to Friday) Students are expected to attend college everyday between 9am – 4pm. Although, there are blocks of time throughout the day where no teaching is delivered, students are strongly encouraged to pursue their independent learning on campus and to make use of our excellent facilities. Contact time with staff is very high compared to most other institutions. Technician demonstrators are usually on-hand too to help and guide students with their projects. Details on your timetable are given upon enrolment in September.
WHAT'S THE NIGHTLIFE LIKE?
- Although Hartlepool is much smaller compared to other cities, it still has a wide range of pubs and clubs to suit most tastes. Hartlepool Marina offers a great selection of bars and restaurants, which becomes very busy over the Spring/Summer months. The railway station close-by has direct links to Newcastle, Durham, Sunderland, and Middlesbrough, which all have fantastic nightlife scenes. At the start of the programme, new students are welcomed to take part in Fresher’s activities, which will induct them into what’s available in the town.
WHAT ARE THE PARKING FACILITIES?
- There is a wide range of parking facilities close-by to the Campus, which are charged at very reasonable rates. Students often park in the nearby transport interchange, leisure complex and supermarket car parks. There is student parking at our 1 church street building, competitively priced averaging £2 per day. Students can purchase a permit per semester £150*. *subject to increase for 2019.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT, AFTER I HAVE ATTENDED MY INTERVIEW?
- Anyone who attends an interview will receive written notification of the outcome (usually within 48hours – unless more time is needed to assess support needs). Successful applicants will receive an offer letter, stating any relevant conditions. Your UCAS status will also be updated. Throughout the rest of the year, we will keep you posted about enterprise news and any student support-related matters. We’ll also send you a special invitation to our annual degree shows, which always attract a huge amount of visitors.
WHAT HAPPENS IF MY OUTCOME IS UNSUCCESSFUL?
- In the unfortunate case an applicant is unsuccessful, we will write to you, giving you the opportunity to request written feedback. Where possible, we will make applicants aware of any other courses which may be suitable for consideration.
WHAT MAKES CCAD UNIQUE?
- A specialist art and design community (since 1874) Friendly and welcoming Supportive and encouraging Experienced practitioners Close-knit community High contact time Dedicated work-bays on most programmes We were rated GOLD in the Teaching Excellence Framework We have excellent Student Satisfaction ratings (91% in the TOP 20% of Universities) 96.7% Art & Design graduate employability in 2016.
WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT DO YOU OFFER TO STUDENTS?
- We have a dedicated Student Services Team who are committed to providing students with high-quality advice and guidance. Their main areas of expertise include: Accommodation Counselling Disability Support Finance & Funding Pastoral & Welfare Support Specialist Tuition Safeguarding In the event that student services are unable to help with your questions, they have links to a range of external agencies who will be happy to provide you with the information you need. Contact time with staff is very high compared to most other institutions. Technician demonstrators are usually on-hand too, to help and guide students with their projects.
HOW DOES CCAD ENHANCE EMPLOYABILITY?
- The unique feature we have over any general university is that we offer specialist 1-2-1 mentoring and support for progressing, or, gaining employment within the creative sector. We have a dedicated Enterprise and Employability centre, where a team of experienced specialists will help and guide students on all employment related issues. Work placements, industrial links, mock interviews, help with CVs. In Summer 2018, we opened brand new workspaces (the BIS) in Whitby Street, which provides fully-supported subsided workspace for 100 early career creatives.
WHAT ARE THE STAFF LIKE HERE?
- Our staff have excellent contacts with the industry, which give students the opportunity to work with well-known brands, designers and makers. We have a large team of creative practitioners who have won prestigious awards, and sell their work nationally and internationally. All staff are friendly and approachable. Our staff are committed and dedicated to their specialisms and provide students with a bespoke learning experience. Contact time is high and there's a very supportive environment.
WHERE ARE OUR GRADUATES WORKING?
- ITV studios Abercrombie & Fitch Warner Brothers Harvey Nichols John Lewis Orla Kiely Disney Harrods BBC Formula 1 Visage
WHAT WORK EXPERIENCE & LIVE BRIEFS HAVE OUR STUDENTS WORKED ON?
- Zandra Rhodes Alexander McQueen Graham & Brown Wallpapers BBC TV programmes such as Vera, Inspector George Gently, Strictly Come Dancing, The Paradise Movies such as Harry Potter, Maleficient, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Iron Lady Trendbible Hallmark UK Premiere Vision, Paris Surtex Exhibition, New York
FORM TO GO HERE