The Student Services team at The Northern School of Art is committed to providing you with high quality advice and guidance. We are knowledgeable, experienced and friendly staff, here to help you maximise your overall student experience.
If we don’t know the answer to your questions, we have links to a range of external agencies who will be happy to provide you with the information you need. Below you will find a summary of the services we provide, along with some useful user guides. But if these don’t answer your questions, call in to see us. You will find us on the ground floor of the Municiple Building opposite the College library. Alternatively, you are welcome to contact us by phone or e-mail. Our main areas of expertise include Accommodation, Counselling, Disability Support, Finance & Funding, Health & Welfare, Pastoral Support, Specialist, Tuition, Safeguarding. Telephone 01429 858410 (Term time only) or 01642 856125 E-mail HEStudent.Services@ccad.ac.uk or Disability@ccad.ac.uk Opening Times 8.30am – 5.00pm – Monday to Thursday or 8.30am – 4.30pm – Friday
MEET THE TEAM
Teresa LatchamStudent Services Manager
Joey McGurkSenior Student Adviser
Michelle PeartStudent Adviser
Marie McKennaSpecialist Tutor
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FINANCE & FUNDING
- Through our experience of providing advice and guidance, we know that the student funding system can sometimes be difficult to navigate - especially if this is all new to you. Our friendly staff would be happy to talk to you about any questions or issues that you have. We can also provide advice and guidance about other sources of funding that may be open to you while you are studying. Please see the links and documents below for more information. STUDENT FINANCE ENGLAND > MONEY MATTERS > HARDSHIP FUND - GUIDANCE FOR STUDENTS > STUDENT HARDSHIP FUND APPLICATION FORM >Student Hardship Fund Application Form
- Whether you are looking to live in Halls of Residence or a shared house, we have something to suit everyone. To find out more about what The Northern School of Art can offer, contact Student Services and speak to our Accommodation Adviser or access the accommodation area of our website HEREHERE. DESTINATION HARTLEPOOL > EXPLORE HARTLEPOOL >
- If you experience a disability, mental health condition, specific learning difficulty or long-term health condition which impacts on your study, it is important that you have the support you need. Support in Higher Education works differently to schools or colleges and we would be happy to talk through your options with you. You can also find useful links and documents below. Please note: It is a student’s responsibility to ensure they have made all necessary support arrangements and applied for associated funding prior to the start of their course. DISABILITY SUPPORT IN HIGHER EDUCATION > DISABLED STUDENTS ALLOWANCES – STUDENT FINANCE > CCAD NMH RATES 17-18 > UCAS INFORMATION – DISABLED STUDENTS >
DYSLEXIA & SPECIFIC LEARNING DIFFICULTIES
- One of the most important services we offer in Student Services is our Specialist 1:1 Tuition for students with a diagnosis of a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD), such as Dyslexia or Dyspraxia. Students must be in receipt of Disabled Students Allowances to access this support.
- Student Services offers all of our students access to our free on-site counselling service. You can access this service at any time, whether you have seen a counsellor before or not. The service is entirely confidential. If our counsellor feels that they are unable to support you or they feel you would benefit from a different type of service, they will discuss this with you, and will support you in seeking the support that is appropriate for you.
STUDENT WELFARE & PASTORAL SUPPORT
- Starting a Higher Education course can often mean a big change in any student’s life, from moving away from home and managing your money, to registering with a GP or dentist and much more besides. You will be pleased to hear, however, that the Student Services Team is here to help. Whenever you have a question or concern, you just need to call in to see us and let us know. We can then provide the advice and guidance you need or help you to contact an appropriate external agency.
- The Northern School of Art's Student Union is an exciting and vibrant new development within the College. Our mission is to advance and enhance the student experience by offering a range of exciting activities, fun social events, interesting clubs and societies, as well as representing your views to the wider college through our elected officers. Getting involved with the Student Union by volunteering or running for office, is a great way to meet new people, learn new skills and to add vital experience to your CV.
- We work hard to ensure that the services, advice and guidance we provide is of the highest quality. To support this, all Student Services staff are members of relevant associations and regulatory bodies, and hold or are working towards relevant nationally recognised qualifications. So that we can continue to ensure you have a positive experience, we encourage all service users to provide us with feedback, so that we can ensure that we are meeting your needs. If you would like to provide us with feedback, you can either complete a feedback card available in Student Services, contact us by telephone or e-mail, or make an appointment with the Student Services Manager.